It was an unparalleled modern genocide, an attempt to exterminate an entire people in 100 days. And in the years that followed the killing of some 800,000 Rwandans in 1994, political leaders have expressed their regret at an international failure to stop the violence.
Bill Clinton, United States president at the time, admitted last year that if the West had intervened earlier to stop the killing, mostly by Hutus against Tutsis, 300,000 lives could have been saved. The violence began with the killing of Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana, a Hutu, when his plane was shot down above Kigali airport on 6 April.
Within hours, violence spread from the capital across the country, and did not subside until three months later. Ahead of the 20th anniversary of the genocide, last week declassified diplomatic cables were released by the National Security Archive at George Washington University which showed that the US, Britain and the United Nations were explicitly warned that a "new bloodbath" was imminent in Rwanda.
Rather than increasing the power of the UN Assistance Mission for Rwanda (Unamir), the governments of John Major in Britain and President Clinton in the US were considering rowing back the peacekeeping effort, according to the cables.
The diplomatic messages showed that on 25 February 1994, the Belgian foreign ministry had expressed "alarm" at the worsening security situation in Kigali. Lode Willems, the Belgian ministry's chief of staff, wrote to Paul Noterdaeme, the country's ambassador to the UN, describing Rwanda's "significant deterioration" and asking for greater UN powers to act. The UN mission in the country could not "firmly maintain public order" and had "a serious credibility problem", Willems added.
But in reply Noterdaeme said that both the US and UK were opposed to action. "Not only are the United States and the United Kingdom against it, they may even, according to their delegations, withdraw Unamir altogether in case of difficulties... There is a financial logic behind this: the United States never wanted more than 500 men for Unamir," wrote Noterdaeme. The UN, he added, was against intervention in the former Belgian colony and "not inclined to adjust the rules of engagement".
Three months after the cables were sent, in May, UN members agreed to increase the contingent of troops to 5,000. They were not deployed for a further six months – by which time the killing had already stopped.
While John Major defended his decision not to send troops to Rwanda – he told MPs in July 1994 it was "simply not practicable" for the UN Security Council to become the "policeman of every part of the world" – Mr Clinton was apologetic on a visit to the country in 1998. "We did not act quickly enough after the killing began," he said.
"We should not have allowed the refugee camps to become safe havens for the killers. We did not immediately call these crimes by their rightful name: genocide." Next month a series of events will be held to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the genocide. Kwibuka20, translated as "remember20" asks the world to ensure that "such an atrocity can never happen again".
source: Independent uk.
A section of Nairobi commuters were this morning forced to walk as some matatu operators blocked major routes to protest high parking fees by County Government. This marked the start of a strike they had announced Tuesday to protest the hike of parking fee and levy charged on Thika Road. Council staff overturned the deal and said the fee must be paid until they are reduced by the MCAs or courts. The matatu operators say they had been betrayed by the governor who had promised to reduce the fee in a Monday deal. According to the Nairobi Metropolitan Union (NMU) the county government had agreed to tentatively lower parking fees for them from this month.
Parliament in Libya has moved into a five-star Hotel in the capital Tripoli a day after rioters armed with knives and guns stormed the legislature building, torching furniture, killing a guard and wounding six lawmakers in the latest episode of turmoil in the country. Parliament's term expired on 7 February but lawmakers voted to extend it with plans to hold new elections in the spring. Since then, hundreds of protesters have held daily demonstrations demanding the legislative body be dissolved. The attack on the parliament comes at a time killings and attacks mainly targeting foreigners, Christian migrants, pro-government militias and the nascent military have escalated in the eastern part of the country, especially in Benghazi, the birthplace of the 2011 uprising.
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has urged the Venezuelan authorities to "listen carefully to the aspirations" of protesters and engage in dialogue with the opposition. He also said protesters "must resort to peaceful means in delivering and conveying their messages". The protests began in the beginning of February in the western states of Tachira and Merida, when local students took to the streets to demand more security after an alleged rape of a local woman. President Nicolas Maduro says that right-wing groups backed up by the United States have encouraged the violence as part of a coup plot.
Pakistani fighter jets have bombed suspected Taliban hideouts in a tribal area on the Afghan border, killing at least 15 people, security officials have said. Thursday's strikes come after attempts to engage the group in peace negotiations collapsed this week. "We received information about militant hideouts and based on our intelligence, precision strikes were carried out around midnight in the Mir Ali area," an intelligence official told the Reuters news agency. "Fifteen militants were killed in the bombing. Thirteen of them were foreign fighters." Another security official said a cache of arms was destroyed in the strikes. The administration of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who came to power last year promising to find a negotiated peace with the Taliban, has been trying to engage the group in talks. But as the talks broke down this week, the air strikes may herald a broader military offensive in North Waziristan, a region where many armed groups are based. The army publicly supports Sharif's call for talks but, in private, senior officers have expressed frustration, giving rise to talk that the military was waiting for an excuse to mount an armed operation. The air strikes, launched in the morning, also came just hours after Pakistan's army said more than 100 soldiers had been killed by Taliban fighters in the past five months, a rare admission of mass casualties. In an unusually tough statement, Sharif's spokesman said in televised remarks late on Wednesday that the Pakistani army was capable of crushing all enemies. "The prime minister wants to resolve these issues without bloodshed, but if the Taliban continue killing people then we will be left with no choice but to keep our citizens safe from terrorism through any means possible," Pervez Rashid said.